'Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm?' will be a short documentary telling the story of an unsolved murder from the 1940s. In 1943 a skeleton of a woman was found inside a tree; the woman is yet to be identified and her murder has never been solved. This film will centre around Joyce Coley who has spent her retirement attempting to get to the bottom of this intriguing mystery. The film will consist of moving image, photography and animation.
- Sally Barnett is the director of this project. She is fascinated by documentary filmmaking; specifically social history documentary. She is hoping this film will help start her career in this area.
- Mazie Reece is the producer of this project. She has years of experience producing and has a passion for documentary.
- Sally and Mazie have a strong working relationship after working on a variety of projects together.
- Justine Stone : Camera Operator
- Jamie Bell : Sound
- Johnny Lennox : Editor
- Scott Lomax : Assistant Researcher
- Meg Houghton Gilmour : Animator
- Sharma Everson : Photographer
- Ashley Holbrook : Music Composer
why we are doing this
- The story we are telling in this film is fascinating. How can a woman be killed and left in such a way and not be identified and the murder remain unsolved?
- We want to tell the story in an interesting and varied way with the use of photography and animation.
- Your donation will have a great impact on the project as it will allow us to be more creative and ambitious, thus making the project more successful
How your donations will help
- The money we raise will go towards equipment for photography and animation, it will fund more trips up to the Midlands to gain more content for the documentary, it will pay for screenings of the film and will also be used to pay our composer.
- If we raise over our target budget it will allow us to develop even more interesting and diverse content, it will also allow us to make the screenings of the film into really exciting events.
- We will update our sponsors regularly so you can be confident we are spending the money wisely.
Rough budget breakdown:
- Crew travel: £200
- Film and processing: £70
- Animation equipment: £30
- Screenings: £100
- Posters: £15
- Composer: £35
- We will be very grateful for any donations, we are also offering some nice rewards to show our gratitude!
Check out our Facebook page!